Your stay at Lincolnshire Rehabilitation Center Merrillville IN:
Even if you had been planning to go home after a stay in the hospital, it will sometimes be necessary to finish your recovery in a skilled nursing or rehabilitation center. Your doctor may decide that even though you no longer need the level of care provided in the hospital, you still need more care than you can get at home.
Some factors that may prevent you from going directly home from the hospital, and require you to stay in a rehabilitation center Merrillville IN include:
- Not having enough help at home
- Medical problems that are not well controlled
- Medications that can not be given at home
- Surgical wounds that need care
Before you can return home, you need to be able to safely manage some basic things such as:
- Getting in and out of bed or a chair independently
- Moving around your home safely
- Using your cane, walker, crutches or wheelchair safely
- Going up and down stairs if you have them in your home
At a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center a doctor will supervise your treatment, while nurses and other trained rehabilitation specialists will help you with daily strengthening and rehabilitation activities. The goal is to get you back to the highest level of strength and functioning that’s possible for you.